QPR – Virtual Lunch & Learn
The Suicide Prevention Coalition of Calhoun County (SPCCC) will be offering a FREE 60 minute virtual Lunch & Learn QPR Suicide Prevention Skills Gatekeeper Training on Thursday, May 19 from 12 pm – 1 pm.
QPR teaches lifesaving skills, and it is the most widely taught Gatekeeper training in the world. Just as CPR prepares you for stepping in to assist with a cardiac emergency, QPR teaches the skills and knowledge to intervene to prevent suicide.
Gatekeepers can include anyone positioned to recognize, help, and refer someone at risk of suicide (e.g., parents, friends, neighbors, teachers, clergy, coaches, caseworkers, healthcare providers, emergency responders, YOU).
QPR intervention follows three steps:
- QUESTION the person about suicide
- PERSUADE the person to seek and accept help
- REFER the person to appropriate resources
Certified Gatekeepers will receive QPR materials and resources, including:
- QPR Booklet and Card (Printable and Mobile-version)
- Personal QPR Gatekeeper certificate
- Digital copy of Dr. Quinnett’s book, Suicide: The Forever Decision
- Downloadable QPR role-play live practice package
- New interactive practice role-play for QPR over text message
- New interactive post-training self-assessment
- New interactive suicide warning signs recognition practice challenge
KEY COMPONENTS COVERED IN TRAINING:
- Learn the myths and facts about suicide
- Recognize the warning signs of suicide
- Know how to ask THE question
- Know how to offer hope
- Know how to get help and save a life
Sign up for a QPR class today; spread the word to your friends, family, and neighbors; and once you’ve taken QPR, share your knowledge with others, help plant the seeds of hope, and when you notice warning signs that someone might be thinking of suicide, use your skills to TAKE ACTION.