To prevent suicide through education, advocacy, connection to resources, and support for those impacted by suicide.
Eliminate suicide and reduce its impact.
Who We Are
The Barb Smith Suicide Resource & Response Network is a grassroots organization that has been serving Michigan and beyond since 1989. The founder and Executive Director, Barb Smith, used her personal experience of losing her 20-year old brother, John, to suicide to build the organization, hoping to find purpose for her pain.
Our team of expert trainers deliver evidence-based prevention trainings with the hope of destigmatizing suicide, increasing help-seeking behaviors, and caring for those impacted by suicide.
Our purpose is to help people understand the nature of suicide, how to respond to someone with thoughts of suicide, and how to walk family and loved ones through the aftermath of a suicide.
- Suicide prevention is mental health promotion.
- Mental health is just as important as physical health.
- A healthy community addresses the needs of the whole person: body, mind and spirit.
- Preventing suicide requires fostering and nurturing strong community partnerships.
- Training must be provided with an unwavering commitment to quality and excellence in delivery, while being tailored to the needs of unique audiences.
- Providing support to individuals to navigate complex community systems improves access to critical services and care.
- Providing support for those impacted by suicide is critical.
Making a difference in the Great Lakes Bay Region and Beyond...
The Network is recognized at the state and national level for training individuals in suicide prevention and for the role played in aftercare for those who have been impacted by suicide. The recognition came in the form of the Governor appointing Barb Smith, Executive Director, to the Michigan Suicide Prevention Commission and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services asking her to lead the suicide post-vention team across the state. Nationally, Barb has been invited to teach suicide prevention and speak at state and National conferences. The Network has been on the forefront of suicide prevention in our state setting the example for others to follow.